OK, so famous is a strong word, but Most Requested just didn’t have the same ring to it. This Mac Salad has turned full on carnivores into Just Mayo junkies. It’s the one recipe that friends and family have asked for time and time again. The funny thing is, it’s just so simple that I never would have thought about blogging it. It’s almost bewildering to me that something we make probably twice a month, and enjoy with the kids alongside a cookout of veggie burgers or tofurkey dogs…something we take for granted – could actually be….shall I say it….sought after? I know, it sounds ridiculous. And I totally would not be even posting it here if it weren’t for my dear friend Kristen who kept saying I needed to do this. It might also partly be because I am afraid that she will show up on my doorstep to get her own helping if I don’t get this done! Kristen – this post is for you!
While this recipe is super easy to make – I would recommend making it at least 3-4 hours in advance. It just tastes that much better when it has had a chance to chill in the fridge…which makes eating some for
lunch the next day even more delish!
Super easy shopping list on this one –
– Sweet/yellow onion
– Just Mayo
– Spices: Season salt & Paprika
See? Told you this would be easy.
My favorite noodles to use for this salad are the tiny shells. Well…let me scratch that. My REAL favorite noodles are these small ring noodles – not those wide ring noodles, but skinny ring noodles. Those are the noodles that we grew up eating in our Mac Salad’s as kids in NY. And then we moved to Florida. You see – for some reason they don’t sell them here in Florida. Why? I don’t know. I’ve gone as far as smuggling boxes of them back with me after visiting NY – but there are only so many you can fit in your luggage and I always run out before the next trip.
- 16 ounces of your favorite pasta noodles
- 4 stalks celery - diced
- ¾ large yellow onion - diced
- 1 cucumber - diced
- 4 small radishes - diced
- 1 cup Just Mayo (or another vegan mayo)
- 1 Tbs Season Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- Cook pasta noodles according to directions on box
- Drain, rinse and cool pasta by running cold water over noodles
- Toss pasta with diced veggies
- Mix in mayo, adjusting amount as needed - note: will be creamier when first mixed, but after chilling will firm up
- Add season salt and paprika and mix well
- Chill covered in fridge 3-4 hours prior to serving