I thought I was going a little chocolate overboard lately, so last week I had decided to make the Apple Spice Muffins with Vanilla Maple Icing . After doing a grocery store run, I came home and gathered everything to make the muffins. Right on cue – Elyza came downstairs and said “Please tell me you are making something chocolately today – I really need it”. And just like that, I knew I was going to be making 2 desserts. I mean, when your teenage daughter asks for chocolate – you oblige.
So yes, this was from last week. This week has flown by so fast and I realized today that I have completely neglected to share this! Shame on me for sure. I even made a second cake during the week and STILL hadn’t blogged it.
So a couple of things I would say about this recipe –
1. This is adapted from Minimalist Baker and is one of their many one bowl recipes. I mean one bowl? Less dishes? Yes please.
2. The batter for this cake is the most delicious batter ever. My son is always a skeptic when I make anything vegan, and especially when I say “but it tastes just like real chocolate!” So this time, I said you know what – come lick this bowl and tell me what you think. And he was impressed.
3. It is best served cold. Don’t get me wrong – it is wonderful either way – but there is something about a nicely chilled chocolate cake.
4. My favorite ingredient to add in, is the coconut oil. Coconut oil in its cold form is fun and chunky and fluffy, and it adds just a touch of sweetness.
Besides serving this cake chilled, it is also fun to eat when warmed up. Although it can be a bit messy, what happens is something magical. Warm ooey gooey frosting – between 2 chocolatey cakes.
- 1½ cups almond milk - close to room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee - I add double the grounds to make sure it's nice and strong
- ⅔ cup liquid coconut oil - heat as needed to liquified
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups organic cane sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter (Like Earth Balance), slightly softened but not completely melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips - melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 9"inch pans and set aside
- In a large bowl, add the almond milk and vinegar and set aside for about 5 minutes
- Add in the coconut oil, vanilla extract and applesauce and mix until frothy
- Slowly add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt - mixing in between each ingredient and finally using a handheld mixer to thoroughly blend all ingredients until there are no lumps
- Pour the batter between the 2 cake pans
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cake cool before removing from pans and frosting
- While the cakes cool, prepare the frosting by mixing all ingredients in a medium bowl
- Adjust the thickness by either adding additional almond milk or powdered sugar
- Once the cake has cooled, add frosting to the bottom cake, and then add the second layer - frosting the top and sides