This is the perfect fall treat, especially if you – like me, are pumpkined out already! The temperature here in Florida fell into the 30’s last night. The 30’s. Like what the heck Florida? Pull it together! At any rate, that temp change put me in the mood for some comfort food for sure! Enter this delicious muffins.
Here we are on Sunday, I have football on the TV and my favorite Vegan Sweet Potato Chili in the crockpot, with the windows open – just soaking up everything that I love about Sunday’s. Now add in these Apple Spice Muffins and we might as well be in the middle of a boot ad, drinking lattes in a field of red and orange leaves.
I can easily update many of my favorite recipes to be vegan friendly by replacing the eggs with applesauce. I know that you can use a number of substitutes, but applesauce is by far my favorite. The taste is either very complimentary to the recipe or it becomes the star of the recipe. In this case, the addition of applesauce to the diced apple pieces, just perfects the apple flavor.
About a month ago, I spent an entire Sunday making applesauce, pretty much in preparation of today. There is something so satisfying about using fresh ingredients that make any recipe taste just THAT much better.
Of course, after the apples, you know my favorite ingredient is going to be pure maple syrup. I am so in love with how delicious it is, that I may sometimes dream about eating it, and might wake up thinking about what I could make that would use it. So yes, the Vanilla Maple Icing is just amazing.
So rather than listen to me ramble about how delicious these are, let’s just make them! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do – and if you make them, let me know how they turned out! Here’s to open windows, football and crockpots – celebrate with Apple Spice Muffins!
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ⅔ cup organic sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs arrowroot flour
- 2½ Tbs water
- 1 Tbs flax meal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ⅔ cup apples, diced
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line muffin pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, applesauce, arrowroot flour, water, and flax meal
- Add both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and stir until combined
- Spoon batter into your greased or lined muffin pan
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden or a fork comes out clean
- After baking. allow muffins to cool completely before removing from pan
- While they cool, prepare the icing
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar, maple syrup, and almond milk
- Place bowl in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to firm up
- After 10 minutes, give the icing a second stir and pour icing over muffins